Everybody loves having straight teeth and a beautiful smile. It’s how we present ourselves to the world. More than for social reasons, straight teeth and an aligned jaw are especially important for the overall health of your mouth. Our goal at Silver Smiles Orthodontics is to assure optimum health for our patients by correcting the placement of teeth. Our Orthodontists are specialists in their field and we care for our patients like they are members of our own families. Whether you have a child that could benefit from braces or you’re finally ready to undergo treatment yourself, we can help. We offer the finest orthodontic solutions available in the Atlanta area and are ready to consult with you right away!
How does Orthodontics work?
Generally, orthodontics gradually moves teeth and even reshape the jaw (non-surgical) to correct malocclusion or misaligned teeth. With the use of braces or Invisalign® clear aligners, we create a gentle force that over time moves the teeth into proper alignment. Our orthodontists can give you the beautiful smile you have always wanted all while correcting your bite and improving your overall oral health!
How Do Braces Work?
In their entirety, braces work by applying continuous pressure over a period of time to slowly move teeth in a specific direction. As the teeth move, the bone changes shape as pressure is applied. Once the teeth are moved into the correct position, they are held in this position for a period of time to allow the bone to “memorize” the new position.
Braces are made up of the following components:
- Brackets are the small squares that are bonded “attached” directly to the front of each tooth. Brackets act like handles, holding the arch wires that move the teeth. There are several types of brackets, including stainless steel brackets, tooth-colored ceramic brackets and gold brackets. Whether you choose tooth-colored braces or traditional metal braces, at Silver Smiles we use the best products available to make sure the braces are as comfortable as possible.
- Arch wires attach to the brackets and act to guide the movement of the teeth. Arch wires can be made of metal or be clear, tooth-colored material.
- Ties are small rubber rings that fasten the arch wire to the brackets. They can be clear, metal, or colored. This is where you can choose the color of your braces. You can change your colors at each appointment.
- Springs may be placed on the arch wires between brackets to push, pull, open, or close the spaces between teeth.
- Elastics or rubber bands attach to hooks on brackets and are worn between the upper and lower teeth in various ways. They apply pressure to move the upper teeth against the lower teeth to achieve a perfect fit of individual teeth.
How Do Invisalign Clear Aligners Work?
Clear aligners are a series of trays that deliver pressures to the teeth to move them. Each tray makes minor movements on the teeth so that they are comfortable when you place your trays, but cumulatively these minor movements can correct the alignment of your teeth and your bite. Patients typically wear each tray between 1-2 weeks. Often attachments are required to make movements on the teeth. The attachments are tooth colored shapes bonded or “attached’ directly to the teeth and act like handles for the aligners to grab on to the teeth to make the tooth movements. Sometimes Invisalign can be faster than traditional braces.